Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Readability

A writer's ability is gauged by the readability of his work. Readability is not just how your reader reads your work, it entails a great many rules. When I studied readability in great detail, it worried me to no end. As a writer (if I may be called one), I have never really considered so many points before penning down my heart's song. So, today, as I sit here with a steaming hot cup of tea, I wonder if what I am doing follows all those rules. Ironically, I had heard when I was very very young that there are no rules to being a writer. A writer can say what he wants, how he wants and where he wants. Apparently, that does not hold true in today's day and age when writing has become more or less a business.

One must have a clear picture of his theme, then he must zero in on his target audience and then choose the medium of communication. He must not use flowery sentences and he must use simple words.

If I were to consider all that, then I would have to stop writing because I have always believed that the essence of one's writing lies in the imagery one can create with the use of flowery words. I truly believe that writing in simple, everyday language can be done by anyone. A writer would use words that are rare, so that the reader picks up something of literary essence from the writing.

But, all that said, to be effective and to sell, one must follow the ground rules. Which means the phrase writing for pleasure is to be dumped in the heap of garbage that I had to throw out last weekend, but didn't.

The wild soul that I am, I have never really followed any rules. Not the rules of society, of institutions, organisations or any such. So, following rules to writing goes against my principles. Or not. If I have some dreams, I will have to make some alterations to my thinking.

In the past few months, I have made a great many alterations to my thinking and have changed all my beliefs. At my age and stage, it was a herculean task to change who I was, but, I can proudly gloat that I changed and am now well accepted by those who I care about. Those who I don't care about and those who cannot accept the new me, can go eat grass.

As for my writing, I am going to make special efforts to suit the writing that will be enjoyed by my target audience, will sell like hot cakes (do people care about hot cakes anymore?) and bring me lots and lots of money. Because at the end of all the serenades we tell each other, the only thing true that we probably don't admit is that money rules the world. And no matter how artsy we want to be, at the end of it all, we need lots of money for a roof on our heads, food on the table and clothes on our body. Nothing to cover the soul, I must add, because the soul is free, wild and wonderful. Whether I can be artsy in my life or not, I swear to allow my soul to always be artsy. Nobody can take that away from me. If anyone tries, I will forget readability and all that jazz and pull out my sword and cut his or her heart out. Or maybe not. =)

5 comments:

Dezvyn said...

it depends on who you are writing for. all artistic sensibilities when used for a mainstream audience are greatly limited. what you propose in your entry doesn't indicate what you are looking for. the point of a blog is that you can be as impersonal as you want. if you want to make your approach towards your readers more formal, your writing and thinking process will change. What should be remembered is simply this-by changing your style of writing, it doesn't necessarily change your manner or thinking process. What can be said in 20 words can be said in 12.

Good luck in your new approach.

Unknown said...

Thank you. You are right. Its just that I am a bit confused whether I should stick to writing for pleasure or should get into formal writing. It is high time that I get into serious writing but, I just can't seem to give up writing for pleasure. You see what I mean?

Dezvyn said...

very simple solution. mantain two blogs, one where you write freely and one where you write with formal constraint.

Unknown said...

aha! You always have the best solutions..! Thank you..! <3

SUN said...

Imagine Mr. Shakespeare were to write to the Times of India in his now classically obsolete style and seek to have a space in the mid page next to the Tree of Life column. I am sure the Editors will send him the piece back with their piece of mind and ask him to instead start a vada pav stall next to Mama Kane's in Dadar.
Writing while it is creative, needs to be readable. What purpose is writing wonderful thoughts down if it were not to be read and understood by people? What purpose if creative and intelligent writers like you write so that you only get a response from some blokes on this blog?
So write, so that it makes a difference in the lives of people... there could be stuck up teenagers hanging upside down from the tree of life, pretending it is the coolest thing to do... write so that you can get them to stop the vampire bit and come down and start living life.
writing in a style that reeks of past ghosts, is not what i would suggest. Writing should be contemporary. Writing can be futuristic and trend setting but writing cannot be based on bygone styles.
what is readable today may not be readable in year 3009. But as long as it is readable for the next 25years... it is fine.
you will then live to smile...
keep writing...keep changing... keep shocking...
Responder (they call be Karishma's DAD)